[Rejestr] [edri-dr] Sign the letter to EU commissioners on data retention!

Jozef Halbersztadt jothal w o2.pl
Pią, 28 Maj 2010, 04:48:15 EDT

Wydaje się, że Rejestr jest listą gdzie należy przekierować poniższy apel.
Józef Halbersztadt
Dear friends,
the Commission is currently considering to propose changes to the EU
data retention directive which we have always opposed as a flagrant
violation of our privacy. There is sigificant momentum at the moment to
abolish the system of mandatory blanket retention of all communications
data: critical comments by the new commissioners early this year,
critical constitutional court judgements, the imminent ECJ procedure
initiated by Digital Rights Ireland as well as a promising coalition
agreement by the new British government.
What would be helpful now, according to all experts, is a joint letter
by organisations from all over Europe, calling on the competent
commissioners to propose abandoning data retention. Broad pressure on
and support of the Commission is needed to trigger such a move.
Joe and I have drafted a letter to that effect (see below) and invite
you to gather as much support for it as possible.
Please ask as many organisations as possible in your country to sign the
letter:
- civil liberties, data protection and human rights associations
- crisis line and emergency call operators
- professional associations of journalists, jurists and doctors
- trade unions
- consumer organisations
- associations of the telecommunications and internet industry
- but no political organisations/parties please as this is to be a civil
society initiative above party lines.
Please let me know the name, country, representative and e-mail address
of all organisations that wish to sign the letter by Friday, 11 June
2010. The letter will subsequently be posted and published. The time
schedule is tight as the draft evaluation report of the data retention
directive including the Commission's recommendations is presently being
discussed by the Commission.
Help us stop data retention by making this letter a success and
gathering as much support for it in your country as possible!
Best regards,
Patrick Breyer
German Working Group on Data Retention (AK Vorrat)
P.Breyer w vorratsdatenspeicherung.de
Draft letter (http://wiki.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de/DRletter) to
1. Viviane Reding, European Commission Vice-President in charge of
Justice, Fundamental Rights and Citizenship, BE-1049 Brussels, Belgium
2. Cecilia Malmström, European Commissioner for Home Affairs, BE-1049
Brussels, Belgium:
Dear Madam,
The EU data retention directive 2006/24 requires telecommunications
companies to store data about all of their customers' communications.
Although ostensibly to reduce barriers to the single market, the
Directive was proposed as a measure aimed at facilitating criminal
investigations. The Directive creates a process for recording details of
who communicated with whom via various electronic communications
systems. In the case of mobile phone calls and SMS messages, the
respective location of the users is also recorded. In combination with
other data, Internet usage is also to be made traceable.
We believe that such invasive surveillance of the entire population is
unacceptable. With a data retention regime in place, sensitive
information about social contacts (including business contacts),
movements and the private lives (e.g. contacts with physicians, lawyers,
workers councils, psychologists, helplines) of 500 million Europeans is
collected in the absence of any suspicion. Telecommunications data
retention undermines the professional secrecy of lawyers, physicians,
clergy, helplines and other professionals, creating the permanent risk
of data losses and data abuses and deters citizens from making
confidential telecommunication. It undermines the protection of
journalistic sources and thus compromises the freedom of the press.
Overall it damages preconditions of our open and democratic society. In
the absence of a financial compensation scheme in most countries, the
enormous costs of a telecommunications data retention regime must be
borne by the thousands of affected telecommunications providers. This
leads to price increases as well as the discontinuation of services, and
indirectly burdens consumers.
Studies prove that the communications data available without data
retention are generally sufficient for effective criminal
investigations. Blanket data retention has proven to be superfluous,
harmful or even unconstitutional in many states across Europe, such as
Austria, Belgium, Germany, Greece, Romania and Sweden. These states
prosecute crime just as effectively using targeted instruments, such as
the data preservation regime agreed in the Council of Europe Convention
on Cybercrime. There is no proof that telecommunications data retention
provides for better protection against crime. On the other hand, we can
see that it costs billions of euros, puts the privacy of innocent people
at risk, disrupts confidential communications and paves the way for an
ever-increasing mass accumulation of information about the entire
population.
Legal experts expect the European Court of Justice to follow the
Constitutional Court of Romania as well as the European Court of Human
Rights's Marper judgement and declare the retention of
telecommunications data in the absence of any suspicion incompatible
with the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.
As representatives of the citizens, the media, professionals and
industry we collectively reject the directive on telecommunications data
retention. We urge you to propose the repeal of the EU requirements
regarding data retention in favour of a system of expedited preservation
and targeted collection of traffic data as agreed in the Council of
Europe's Convention on Cybercrime. In doing so, please be assured of our
support.
Yours faithfully,