[Rejestr] [EDRi-members] Fwd: UK Press enquiry - ShortList Magazine

Jozef Halbersztadt jothal w o2.pl
Wto, 30 Lis 2010, 08:09:03 MET

To jest bardzo ważny wniosek.
W Polsce rząd wlasnie wystąpił do Sejmu o wprowadzenie centralnego Systemu Informacji Medycznej

autor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_J._Anderson

In my opinion there is a very relevant lesson to be drawn from the
wikileaks story. I'm taking the following line with the media here.

The leak shows yet again the folly of constructing huge databases
containing vast amounts of sensitive data to which millions of people then
need access to do their jobs. Secrecy just doesn't scale well.

After the HMRC loss of 26 million child benefit records in England, and the
compromise of the Scottish Emergency care Record system which had 5
million people's medical information, and the loss of hundreds of thousands
of combat reports in Iraq, we now see the State Department losing a
quarter of a million diplomatic cables.

I'm arguing from this that the UK Government must stop trying  to create
central databases of all medical records. The entirely predictable
outcome is that the database will leak. Perhaps a crooked porter will
sell access to a tabloid newspaper; perhaps an absent-minded medical
professor will leave his laptop on a plane. But whatever happens, the
outcome will be drastic for all of us. Just as US diplomats will be
less frank in their reports from now on, so we will all be much more
guarded about what we tell our doctors. That will carry a real cost. And
it's not just medical records. Tax, benefits, schools, ... the list goes on.

You can have security, or functionality, or scale. With good engineering
you can have two of these. However, you can't have all three.

Ross