[Karty] "e-portfelik" RFID

Piotr J. Ochwal karty@listy.icm.edu.pl
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:51:36 +0100

Eirpay, in association with O2 Ireland, has announced a new system that
makes purchasing fuel from petrol stations faster and more convenient for
customers. This system, which works over O2's data network, allows customers
to purchase fuel for their vehicle by swiping a key at the fuel pump, which
conducts the transaction and saves the customer from having to queue or
worry about cash inside the petrol station.

When customers register with Eirpay, they are provided with a free key which
has Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) that allows customers to purchase
their fuel. Customers then decide which of their credit or laser card
accounts they want to use when purchasing their fuel. At each Eirpay
serviced forecourt, customers will find automated pumps with a touch-screen.
By simply swiping their key at the petrol pump on the forecourt, they are
prompted to enter the amount they wish to spend on the touch-screen,
followed by their secure PIN code.

Using O2's data network to transport the information from the forecourt to
the central Eirpay Bureau, the customer's payment details are checked and
authorisation is sought electronically from the customer's bank.

Once confirmation of the transaction comes back from Eirpay, which takes
approximately three to four seconds, the automatic fuel release system of
the pump dispenses the customer's desired amount of fuel. The Eirpay system
is currently being tested in Roscrea and plans are in place to roll it out
to a further nine petrol stations by June, with a total of 456 stations
nationwide over the next two years.

"We are delighted to announce the new Eirpay System which makes purchasing
fuel more secure, as well easier and faster than ever before. Customers can
now carry one Eirpay key instead of their credit or laser cards and also
avoid the hassle of queuing inside the petrol station," commented Eirpay's
Managing Director, Paddy Ryan. "The corporate trials we are currently
running are proving very successful and we're on target for our planned
nationwide rollout."

"We are delighted to be working with Eirpay to bring customers a
revolutionary new way to purchase their fuel," commented Partner Programme
Manager with O2, Liz Caughey. "O2's GPRS network allows the whole
transaction to be completed in a matter of seconds."